·         Imported
·         Cut 2x4's in a single pass with an easily maneuverable compact saw that weighs 50% less than a traditional 7-1/4" circular saw
·         Thin blade makes for less tool strain, resulting in full size circular saw cutting speed and performance
·         Easy-set depth gauge lever and 0-45-degree bevel settings for quick adjustments. The WORXSAW is substantial enough to cut through nominal 2 inch lumber, yet light enough for the DIY'er to easily and comfortably maneuver. Cut wood, metal, tile or plastic with ease
·         Left-sided blade design for great cut-line visibility; grip with integrated safety trigger for comfort, balance, and control
·         Box includes 4-1/2” WORXSAW, 24T Carbide-tipped Blade, Parallel Guide, Vacuum Adapter, Allen Key, and Manufacturer’s 3-year warranty

I went back and forth on this saw for some time, I didn't want to limit myself and I was worried that I would regret not getting a bigger circular saw. My Dad has a Rockwell 4.5" circular saw (made by the same Positec tools company that makes Worx tools) that he swears by and urged me to give it a try before making a decision. In the past I've used my battery operated compact circular saws that did ok for a quick trim on thin plywood but wouldn't be up for my bookshelf project that had in mind, so I was a little skeptical but figured I'd try it.

I tried the Rockwell saw and found that it had plenty of power to rip through a sheet of 3/4" plywood without hesitation, and the smaller size made it easier to manage for crosscutting 6-10" boards. I decided that this was plenty of saw for me and decided to give the Worx saw a try since I got it on sale about thirty dollars less than the Rockwell.

When it arrived I put it to work right away, making rips on full sheets of 3/4" plywood using the included rip fence. It tore through the wood without hesitation and the included blade made clean cuts with minimal tear out. I have large hands and did not find the grip difficult to manage, but if you had smaller hands it might be an issue as it is larger in diameter. I like the placement of the safety, just flip it back to ready the saw and then I use my pinky finger to squeeze the power switch and get things going. The saw is accurate and the cut lines up with the mark on the shoe as it should. the depth of cut is easy to adjust and the marks are accurate as well. The rip fence was easy to use and can be adjusted with the same allen wrench that is kept on the cord, so it's not necessary to stop and find another tool. I am unsure of the long term longevity of this piece. The plastic piece that runs along the edge of the material seems to be attached to the metal bar by some sort of melted plastic rivet. Either way it appears to be a fair standard size so an aftermarket rip fence could probably be substituted if necessary.

My impression of the tool is that it is well made and a good value especially considering the reasonable price. Is this tool pro quality? Well, that depends, I've known pros that take good care of their tools and could make even the cheapest lightweight tool last years, and I've know others that consider it almost a challenge to try and break a tool. I am careful with my tools and rarely have one drop on the floor or take any hard abuse, and this saw seems to be stout enough that if it fell off my workbench it would probably survive just fine. The blade shroud is not metal as I originally thought from the pictures, but is instead a gray plastic. The shoe is a stamped metal unit that has a little play in the tilt/depth of cut mechanism, but not enough to affect accuracy (if an ultra high degree of accuracy is necessary, a hand held circular saw isn't the right tool anyway). I have concerns about the safety switch, I could see it breaking off if the saw fell on it, so that might be something to be concerned about.

I'll wrap up my review with a mention of the vacuum port and a comparison between this and the Rockwell saw. This is a nice feature that you don't see on a lot of saws of this nature. Most of the time I don't bother with it, but if I'm working indoors and want to minimize my mess, this does a good job of catching the majority of the sawdust generated from a cut when I attach my shop vac to it via a neck down adapter. It is a bit more awkward with the big hose on the side, but I will probably get a smaller extension hose at some point and that will make it less cumbersome.

The main differences I can see between this and the Rockwell 4.5" saw are mainly in the construction. As I mentioned earlier, these tools are both produced by the same company, so it stands to reason that they are similar. The Rockwell uses metal for it's blade shroud, looks to me to be cast aluminum, whereas the Worx uses what seems to be a very rigid plastic. I couldn't say which one would stand up to abuse better, the metal might but it could also crack where the plastic might flex just a little and survive a drop. The other difference is power, the Rockwell has a one more amp, but between the two, I didn't see a difference when cutting 3/4 plywood, they both performed equally. The grip is different, I prefer the Worx a little more myself, I found the grip and safety a little awkward to use on the Rockwell since I had to use my thumb to hit the safety and get my hand wrapped around it for the trigger. I prefer the safety switch on the Worx being located at the front of the trigger button. Aside from this, I don't see much difference in the two saws, to me they are identical in function.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circular Saw with Single Beam Laser Guide